Doctor who consumed medicine to prove its non-toxicity dies


Tragedy struck Dr Baiju’s life on January 25, 2007.

Muvattupuzha: An Ayurvedic physician, who had been remaining paralysed for the last nine years after he consumed a medicinal decoction (kashayam) to prove its non-toxicity, passed away here.

Dr P A Baiju, 38, son of Ayyappan and Leela of Payipra Pandiriyil, who served as doctor at the Government Ayurvedic Clinic at Bison Valley in Idukki, died on Monday.

Tragedy struck Dr Baiju’s life on January 25, 2007.

Santha, a housewife of Karyamkunnel in Bison Valley, had been undergoing Baiju’s treatment for arthritis and her condition bettered gradually. On January 24, Baiju prescribed her a medicine ‘Rasanapanchakam.’

However, her relatives visited him next day with the medicine alleging that she swooned after consuming it. Further, the doctor consumed the medicine to prove that it contains no toxic elements. It has also been alleged they forced him to drink it. Immediately, he vomited and lost his consciousness.

Later, police arrested Santha’s husband Rajappan for allegedly mixing poison in the medicine following a family feud.

Baiju was admitted to a private hospital in Kothamangalam and was later shifted to Ernakulam. By then, the poison had seeped into his body resulting in paralysis. After a month of treatment, he was shifted to a private hospital in Muvattupuzha. Since then, he had been remaining bed-ridden.

Dr Baiju is survived by his wife Dr Shincy and children Vishnu and Vaishnavi.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Youtube
Telegram
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.