DGP recommends social media etiquette for police officers
Thiruvananthapuram: State Police Chief Loknath Behera has suggested restrictions for the police officers who are active on the social media. He warned that the policemen should decently interact on the social media and that they should not use photographs taken in their official uniform in personal account profiles. He has also directed ADGP B. Sandhya to prepare the etiquette to be followed by the police officers while using the social media.
DGP also said that if the policemen cannot talk decently, they better remain silent. He added that addressing the public as ‘Sir’ would not belittle the officers. His statement came in the backdrop of the controversies arising with regard to the police force.
‘I advise the senior officers sometimes that they better keep quiet. Half of the problems can be resolved, if remain silent.’ DGP said. He added that Malayalis are not very good at speaking English.
- No officer, who question the government policies and the commands of the section heads, will not be allowed to continue in the service. It is an unhealthy practice for the government employees to act against the code of conduct.
- The police officers should not use their official email id and mobile number to create accounts on the social media. The official computers and network should not be used for personal purposes.
- Official communities and profiles in the name of the unit should not be created without the written permission of the unit head. The details of investigations, persons involved in cases, details and pictures of official journeys etc. should be disclosed through personal accounts.
- Criticisms, discussions or comments on issues under consideration of the court should not be published.
- Posts that humiliate women, officers, other individuals, religious sects or communities, or contain politically biased content should not be published. Also such posts should not be liked, commented or shared.
- The admins of social media groups will have to face legal actions, if any post with illegal content is published. The officers who fail to follow the directions will be subjected to legal actions, department level investigation and even termination from the service.
An officer who used abusive language against the DGP on police WhatsApp groups was suspended the other day. The restrictions were issued considering similar incidents before.