Death due to suspected food poisoning: Health supervisor suspended

Kottayam: The municipality here on Wednesday suspended health supervisor MR Sanu pending investigation over the death of a woman due to suspected food poisoning. The authority has taken action against the official for allowing the functioning of the hotel where food poisoning was reported. Kottayam municipal chairperson Bincy Sebastian informed the decision.

Meanwhile, the district food safety department has filed a report on the action taken over the incident before the state food safety commissioner. The officials confirmed that food samples collected from Malappuram Kuzhimanthi, a hotel in Sankranthi here, will be sent for chemical examination to a laboratory in Thiruvananthapuram. Resmi Raj, a nurse based in Kottayam, breathed her last while undergoing treatment for suspected food poisoning at a hospital here on Monday.

At the same time, 26 people who consumed food from the same hotel are admitted to various hospitals after complaining of symptoms related to food poisoning. District assistant food safety commission TR Randeep informed that statement of these people have been recorded.

The officials received a complaint against the hotel on December 30. The authority claimed that they have ordered to shut down the hotel on the same day and suspended the licence on December 31.

According to the officials, poorly cooked food, stale chicken or mayonnaise might have led to the food poisoning which claimed the woman's life.

In November, Kottayam municipality ordered to close the hotel after a food poisoning case surfaced. But the hotel was reopened after paying a fine of Rs 20,000.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.