Daughter's death: 85-yr-old Kozhikode woman in fight for justice since 22 yrs

Raji Puthukkudi

Jameela, Hameed

Kozhikode: It's been 22 years since Jameela, mother of two children, was found dead under mysterious conditions at her house in Kozhikode.

The police have not yet solved the case or found Jameela's missing husband Hameed, against whom the deceased's family has doubts.

Jameela's mother, Mariya, continues to knock at the doors of police stations and government offices, demanding justice and an answer to her daughter's untimely demise. Now the 85-year-old woman is planning to file a complaint before Vadakara Rural SP demanding an investigation into the case.


Jameela was found dead on a prayer mat inside her house on September 8, 2001. On the same day, her husband, Hameed, also went missing. For the past two decades, the police tried all means to crack the case and find the whereabouts of Hameed. The relatives also alleged that it was Hameed who was behind the death of his wife. However, the case remains unsolved.

Jameela's children, who went out to distribute newspapers, were the first to find their mother dead. The children ran outside and informed the incident to Hameed, who was standing on a nearby road. Hameed immediately lamented over her wife's demise and showed emotions in front of the locals. However, Hameed was found missing after the doctor who attended the scene grew suspicious of the death.

Relatives also alleged that Hameed was acting suspiciously on the day of her death. Hameed, a fish seller, didn't go to the market that day to fetch fish. He also informed a local tea seller he won't be going to market since his wife was unwell. Minutes later, children came running to him informing him that Jameela was found dead.

The doctor who attended the scene grew suspicious after findings signs of bruise marks on her neck and injuries to her head. The doctor recommended post-mortem after suspecting she was struck from behind using a heavy object while observing prayers. However, Hameed then maintained that his wife had a heart attack. The doctor ruled out his claim. Following that Hameed excused himself and went outside, saying he needed to make phone calls. However, he absconded and was never seen again.

Later, the post-mortem report revealed that Jameela had a fracture on her neck and died due to asphyxiation. Following the incident, the presence of Hameed was reported from Mokeri, Kasaragod, and Kakkanad, among other places.

He also fled from a hotel in Kakkanad before police reached the spot. Later, the case was probed by Crime Branch special unit. However, the case remained largely unsolved, and the whereabouts of Hameed remained a mystery.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.