COVID-19: Speaker introduces 10-point action plan to cut expenditure in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Assembly Speaker P. Sreeramakrishnan informed that as part of the COVID-19 preventive measures, action has been taken to reduce the expenditure in the assembly.
The speaker reported that a 10-point action plan was introduced to cut the expenditure in all sectors in the assembly by 25 percent. The action plan includes the appointment of a special committee to give recommendations to cut expenditure by avoiding non-essential purchases through internal scrutiny. Expenditure list of the legislature secretariat will be examined by this committee.
The 10 point action plan to cut the expenditure in assembly is as follows:
- Control inter-state study tours of the legislature committees
- Freeze all new appointments in legislature secretariat completely
- All constructions activities under the legislature secretariat except the ones which completed tender formalities will be cancelled
- A special committee will be appointed to submit recommendations to cut the expenditure by 25 percent in all sectors by avoiding non-essential purchases through internal security. The committee should examine the expenditure list of the legislature secretariat for preparing the recommendations.
- Only emergency repair works will be carried out at the residence of the MLAs.
- Purchase of new vehicles cancelled
- Use of vehicles will be controlled
- A request will be forwarded to the government seeking permission to use the asset development fund for COVID-19 prevention activities.
- 24-hour help desk at the assembly already provided assistance to more than 3,000 people.
- Employees in the assembly have been distributing 200 food packets to the community kitchen in Thiruvananthapuram.