Child's death after swallowing coin: Alappuzha medical college claims no lapse on their part
Alappuzha: The x-ray image of abdomen of the child who died after swallowing a coin in Kadungalloor in Aluva has come to light. It can be seen in the image that the coin remained in the stomach of the child. Alappuzha medical college authorities had stated that they provided the treatment as per the protocol to be followed when a coin reaches the stomach.
The child had no other health problems. In normal cases, the swallowed coin would come out within 2-3 days. The child was not facing any breathing trouble, the hospital sources said. They also claimed that there were no lapses on their part in this case. As the COVID crisis exists, an emergency surgery on the child was not possible, the medical college authorities explained.
The superintendent of the medical college has sought a report from the Department of Pediatrics. This will be submitted to the government.
The 3-year-old boy had accidentally swallowed a coin on Saturday at 11 am. His parents rushed him to Aluva Taluk hospital first and then to Ernakulam general hospital. But as there was no paediatrician in both hospitals, the boy was referred to Alappuzha medical college.
The doctors at all these hospitals advised the parents to give water and banana to the child and assured them that the coin will come out with stool. With this, the family returned home with the child. But the child’s condition worsened at night. Though he was taken to Aluva taluk hospital, he died in the wee hours of Sunday.