Child dies after swallowing coin; family alleges negligence of 3 govt hospitals
Aluva: A three-year-old boy died here on Sunday after he accidentally swallowed a coin. The deceased is Prithviraj, son of Raju and Nandini. The parents blamed the government hospitals for not providing expert medical care to their child.
“When we rushed our son to a government hospital, they told us there is nothing to worry and the coin will come out automatically when he passes stool,” said the boy’s mother.
The incident took place on Saturday at 11 am. After finding that the child swallowed a coin, the parents immediately took him to Aluva Taluk hospital. But as there was no paediatrician on duty, hospital authorities directed to take the boy to Ernakulam general hospital. The family complained that their child did not get proper medical care at the general hospital also.
The boy was referred to Alappuzha medical college as there was no paediatrician at Ernakulam general hospital.
Amidst this, the doctors at these hospitals advised the parents to give water and banana to the child and assured them that the coin will come out with the stool.
When they contacted Alappuzha medical college they received the same advice.
As per this, the family returned home with the child. But the child’ s condition became critical during at night. Though the boy was taken to Aluva taluk hospital, he died in the wee hours of Sunday.
The family alleged that the three hospitals refused to give proper medical care and they lost their child due to medical negligence.