Centre approves release of Rs 6 cr to 7 states as calamity aid; excludes Kerala
New Delhi: In a major setback to Kerala, the Centre dropped the state from the list approved to receive assistance for the damage caused due to various calamities last year. Rs 5,908.56 crore has been sanctioned to seven states, including Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka and Assam.
The Home Ministry, in a statement, said the decision was taken at a meeting of a high-level committee (HLC), chaired by Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
Kerala had sent a letter to the Centre on September 7 demanding Rs 2101 crore as aid along with the detailed report of the 2019 flood.
Following this, a central team had visited the state to take stock of the situation.
However, it is alleged that the letter was not even considered. No explanation has been furnished from exempting Kerala.
During the devastating flood that hit Kerala in 2018 also, the state had not received enough aid from the Centre. It was then alleged that political vendetta was behind this exclusion.
The HLC approved additional central assistance of Rs 5908.56 crore to seven states from the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) of which Rs 616.63 crore will be given to Assam, Rs 284.93 crore to Himachal Pradesh, Rs 1869.85 crore to Karnataka, Rs 1749.73 crore to Madhya Pradesh, Rs 956.93 crore to Maharashtra, Rs 63.32 to Tripura and Rs 367.17 crore to Uttar Pradesh for floods or landslides or cloudburst during the 2019 southwest monsoon, the statement said.
Earlier, the central government had released an interim financial assistance of Rs 3,200 crore to four states -- Rs 1,200 crore to Karnataka, Rs 1,000 crore to Madhya Pradesh, Rs 600 crore to Maharashtra and Rs 400 crore to Bihar.
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman was present in the meeting, along with senior officers of the ministries of Home Affairs, Finance, Agriculture and NITI Aayog.
(With inputs from PTI)