Photo: VK Aji/Mathrubhumi
Kochi: The high-level committee appointed by the Kerala High Court in connection with the Brahmapuram dump yard fire has submitted its report.
The three-membered panel had a field visit to observe the operations. The report flags space constraints in the dump yard and other issues with amenities. The panel also suggests measures to make the plant effective. The quantity of waste brought to the plant should be reduced, it noted.
The major findings are as follows:
- The area for the windrow composting plant is inadequate to accommodate the huge quantity of waste brought
- The condition of structures in the yard is fragile
- The slurry can ooze into the nearby Kadambrayar (river)
- There is no CCTV mechanism
- No sufficient equipment to carry out bio-mining