Thrissur: The ban on tusker Thechikkottukavu Ramachandran for attending temple festivals and processions has been lifted. The District Monitoring System for the Kerala Captive Elephants (Management and Maintenance) Rules granted permission under strict conditions. With this, the one-year-long ban on the tusker was lifted. During the ban period, the elephant was given special permission to open the East Gopuranada for Thrissur Pooram.
The monitoring committee headed by district collector put forward 12 conditions to lift the ban on Thechikkottukavu Ramachandran. Thechikkottukavu Devaswom should state in writing that they take up complete responsibility of including the tusker in processions and festivals.
The ban was lifted after it was found that the elephant has no health issues at present. The District Monitoring Committee will decide later about the permission for participating in Thrissur Pooram. They also assessed that leaving the elephant idle for long will lead to further health issues. The committee also considered that about Rs 30 lakh is required for the maintenance of Thechikkottukavu Ramachandran every year.
Thechikkottukavu Ramachandran was banned after it turned aggressive during the housewarming ceremony at Kottappadi in Guruvayur and it led to death of two people. The elephant happened to run amok when crackers were blasted on the premises of the house.
Conditions for lifting ban
- The tusker should be included in only two processions a week.
- A special elephant squad of the District Monitoring Committee should accompany the tusker.
- Four mahouts should accompany the elephant all the time.
- The tusker is allowed to attend programmes in Thrissur and Palakkad districts only.
- People should keep a distance of minimum 5 metres from the tusker.
- If the wounds on skin, which is healing at present, happen to worsen, permission will be cancelled.
- The doctor who presently treats the elephant should provide a fitness certificate once a week.
- Elephant should not be subjected to any tense situations. Crackers should not be fired near the tusker.
- In case of any unnatural behaviour, the ban will be restored.
- The programmes in which the elephant takes part should be informed in advance to Thrissur Assistant Conservator of Forest and District Veterinary Officer.
- Permission will be extended only if the elephant is fit after two months.