Anxiety grips Kottayam as more COVID-19 cases reported from district
Kottayam: The total number of COVID-19 patients in Kottayam district became 11 after five more people, including two health workers, tested positive for the virus on Saturday.
Details of patients who tested positive for the virus
1. Vadayar native (53) tested positive on Sunday. Primary reports say that he contracted the virus from relatives who came from abroad.
2. Health worker from Olassa (32) underwent medical inspection due to severe coughing.
3. A post graduate student from Channanikkadu (25) sought treatment due to persistent coughing that lasted more than two weeks.
4. Health worker from Thiruvananthapuram (33) tested positive after seeking treatment due to coughing.
5. Tamil Nadu native, who stays in Veloor, returned from Nagarcoil on March 22. He sought treatment due to fever.
District Collector PK Sudhir Babu said that public should maintain social distancing and follow the instructions provided by the health department. A meeting of the public representatives will be held on Monday under the leadership of minister P Thilothaman to discuss the restrictions to be maintained in the coming days.
Hotspots to have more restrictions
The restrictions in the district will be made tighter in the context of five more people testing positive for COVID-19. People will be allowed to step out only in connection with activities related to food distribution and health care.
Houses of all the COVID positive patients have been declared as containment zones. In these areas, police and local bodies will make the arrangements for distribution of food.
Aymanam, Ayarkkunnam, Veloor, Thalayolapparambu panchayats have been declared as hotspots after the five people tested positive for the virus on Sunday.
Following are the restrictions
- Only centres related to preparation, distribution of food and health related industries will be opened.
- Government offices can function by maintaining 33 percent attendance.
- Government offices in the hotspot regions need not be opened.
- Public should cooperate to reduce the crowd in Kottayam medical college, district general hospital and other health centres.
- If the health condition is not serious, patients should seek treatment from the nearest health centre.
Pathanamthitta- Kottayam border sealed off
Also, all by roads connecting Pathanamthitta and Kottayam will be closed temporarily.The Pathanamthitta district authority told the police to close all the roads.
Inspection has been tightened in the border region as the number of COVID-19 cases are on the rise in Kottayam.