Representative Image | Photo: Gettyimages.in
Kozhikode: Another case of Shigella infection was reported in the district on Thursday. A toddler from Feroke was confirmed of the disease and is admitted to a private hospital here. A total of 8 persons have been confirmed of the disease till date.
The presence of Shigella bacteria was earlier found in Mundikkalthazham, Kottaparambu and Mayanad areas.
For the past days, health workers have been inspecting the areas and conducting examination to identify the source of the bacteria. The health department director has asked them to file a report in this regard.
A 11-year-old boy had died of Shigella infection, an intestinal infection with communicable capacity, in Kozhikode last week.
Shigella is one of the leading bacterial causes of diarrhea worldwide and is an intestinal infection caused by a family of bacteria.
According to experts, Shigella usually spreads through food and water, which are contaminated to some extent by human excreta. The disease is treatable and is manageable by antibiotics. Proper sanitisation methods should be followed. It is not deadly but requires public awareness and one must take due precautions of clean food and water along with proper waste management.
District health authorities have initiated mitigation steps, including 'super-chlorination' of wells of the region, and inspections of eateries, including hotels. Awareness classes were also being held, officials said.