90 pc of police personnel have turned unfit for work: ARC
Alappuzha: The Administrative Reforms Commission has stated that about 90 percent of the officers in the police force have become unfit for work due to job pressure and stress. The lack of exercise and continuous work hours have affected their efficiency. Their laziness is evident from the belly fat and sleepy face. The commission has handed over a report in this regard to the government after conducting a work study.
Only 10 percent of the police officers are working efficiently and smartly. The commission has directed the higher officials to take a practical solution to rejuvenate the police force. Though a time schedule is not practical in the force, maximum eight hours work and weekly off day should be strictly implemented.
Assigning duties like vehicle checking, postal work and traffic regulation should be reduced and modern technologies should be utilised. It has been recommended that home guards should be used for postal duties.
When drunken drivers are nabbed, it takes a lot of time for medical check-up and submission of case in the court. The commission observed that this can be stopped by levying the fine at the police station itself.
Classify police station into three
The reforms commission has recommended to classify the police station based on the number of criminal cases. The stations where more than 3000 criminal cases are registered will be classified as A Grade and staff shall be reorganised in accordance with it. The station that has cases between 2000-3000 belong to B Grade and those with cases upto 2000 belong to C Grade.
In A Grade stations, there should be a Principal SI, three Grade SIs, three ASIs, 15 senior civil police officers and 35 civil police officers and five women civil police officers, according to the recommendation by the commission.
Other major recommendations
- Police stations should have a system to safeguard the objects collected as evidence.
- There should be a system to categorise crime duty, law and order maintenance and other duties properly.
- The government should intervene to give special consideration for police when accused are taken to hospital.
- CCTVs should be installed at traffic block prone areas, treasury, check post and similar places and connect them with stations.
- Digital Fingerprint equipment should be available in police stations.