Eight miners dead in Lalmatia colliery mishap in Jharkhand
Godda (Jharkhand): Eight miners were killed and some others feared trapped following a cave-in at Lalmatia opencast coal mine at Rajmahal area of Eastern Coalfields Ltd (ECL) on Thursday night.
"So far, bodies of eight miners have been recovered from the mine. Rescue work is on," R R Mishra, officiating CMD of ECL, a Coal India arm, told PTI.
There was a mishap at the mine in Godda district around 7.30 PM on Thursday when excavators and tippers were working there following which rescue operations were launched immediately, Mishra said.
Director General of Mines Safety and senior officials were there to supervise the rescue operation, Mishra said.
He said 10 equipment -- three excavators and seven tipper trucks -- have been recovered. A high-level committee has been formed to inquire into the reasons behind the mishap, Mishra said.
Jharkhand (Lalmatia) mine collapse: 40-50 workers feared trapped under the debris, rescue operations on. NDRF team from Patna on the way. pic.twitter.com/E0q9MLdDuR— ANI (@ANI_news) December 30, 2016
Police said two persons were injured in the incident and were being treated at a hospital.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Chief Minister Raghubar Das over phone and took stock of the situation.
The PM said Jharkhand Government and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal were "working to restore normalcy".
The National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) has been engaged for rescue & relief operations.
"Saddened by the loss of lives at a mine in Jharkhand. My prayers are with those trapped inside. Spoke to CM Raghubar Das on the situation," Modi said on twitter.
Jharkhand (Lalmatia) mine collapse: 40-50 workers feared trapped under the debris, rescue operations on. NDRF team from Patna on the way. pic.twitter.com/fYyK0XAhmI— ANI (@ANI_news) December 30, 2016
Expressing sorrow, the Jharkhand Chief Minister announced assistance of Rs two lakh for the families of the miners who died in the accident.
He also announced Rs 25,000 to the injured, official sources said.
"All senior officials have been asked to stay at the site," the CM tweeted.