Bomb in Mangaluru airport: Suspect surrenders
Bengaluru: The suspect in the case in which explosives were found in Mangaluru airport surrendered before police. The man identified as Aditya Rao surrendered before police on Wednesday morning.
The man turned up at the DGP and IGP office here, where he has been detained for inquiry and medical tests.
Earlier, the visuals of the suspect were collected from the CCTV from the airport. Police informed that they are inquiring about the fake bomb threats in the airports in Karnataka. A man who posed the bomb threat in Bengaluru airport way back in 2018 was arrested then and imprisoned.
The police said that the person seen in the CCTV footage resembles the accused in 2018 case. However, it is yet to confirm whether this person is Aditya Rao. The accused in 2018 case posed fake bomb threat after his application for a job in the airport was rejected.
An unattended bag with explosives was recovered from Mangalore airport two days ago. The laptop bag was carrying high-intensity explosives that could cause explosion in a 500-metre radius. While diffusing, the explosives caused a loud noise and huge cloud of smoke.
If the explosives were connected with wires and battery, it could have exploded. However, the explosives were not connected to a triggering system.
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), the paramilitary force mandated to guard the terminal building, recovered a black bag at the IndiGo ticket counter and later a Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) declared that an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) had been put inside it.
It was learnt that the bag was full of nails and some components -- battery, wire, timer, switch and detonator necessary for manufacturing an IED, said sources.
As the security agencies went into a tizzy with CISF and state police personnel busy sanitizing airport terminal, an unknown threat call was received by terminal manager around 3.30 p.m. regarding a bomb aboard an IndiGo flight from Mangalore to Bengaluru (6E-528).
Sources said the flight, which was due to take off, was called back for checks. "Nothing objectionable was found in the flight on checking. A complete sanitization operation was carried out at the Mangalore airport after the caller threatened that it is just a "trailer", the official said.
The Mangaluru Police have released photographs and the CCTV footage of the suspected man getting out of the terminal building and the auto rickshaw in which he left. What happened at the airport was a massive security lapse. Even the officials are considering it as a warning. Following the incident, strategic areas in the city were placed on high alert.
Mangaluru has been under distress ever since two persons were killed after police opened fire against protesters opposing the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA). Former chief minister H. D. Kumaraswamy said the Karnataka government was trying to cause tension between two communities and the ‘bomb drama’ was part of it.
(With inputs from agencies)