Rambutan stuck in child's windpipe removed
Aluva: A medical team saved a child who stopped breathing for 15 minutes after a rambutan fruit got stuck in his windpipe. Following the effort of several doctors, which extended over many days, the child slowly regained his health.
The son of a couple from Aluva fell unconscious after accidentally swallowing a fruit on July 28. The boy was unconscious when he was taken to Rajagiri hospital in Aluva.
The primary objective of the health team, when he was admitted in the hospital, was to get his heart beat again. Later the doctors were successful in taking out the fruit which was stuck in the boy’s respiratory tract. The doctors were then focused on avoiding all damages that could lead to brain death and also to bring his trachea back to the normal state.
The child was kept alive by a ventilator in the ICU. Later, the ventilator was gradually removed. The child was brought back to life after the hard work of health workers which lasted several days.
The treatment was led by doctors Bipin Jose, Deepthi, Rashmi, Umma, John, Jennifer, Darsan Jayaramdas, Vishnunarayanan and Hormis.