Pet dog saves family from getting electrocuted by broken power line in Kottayam
Karukachal (Kottayam): In a remarkable incident, a pet dog saved a family from getting electrocuted from a damaged power line lying on the road.
Marykutty, daughter Priya and her granddaughters Hridya and Veda had a narrow escape from death due to the brave intervention of their pet dog ‘Rani’.
The incident took place on Thursday at about 8.30 pm. In the heavy rain and gusty wind, power line was broken and fell on ground after a tree branch fell over it. The power line which had the electricity supply had fallen into stagnant rainwater.
Marykutty who runs a shop at Thottikkallu, was returning home after closing the shop with her daughter and granddaughters. Their dog was moving ahead of them and stepped into a rainwater on road. Dog which first stepped into the water was electrocuted and was thrown away. It then barked and alerted the family that was coming behind it. Night had prevented clear vision of the road for Marykutty and others. When she tried to move forward ignoring the dog, it stood in front of her and blocked her from stepping forward.
Noticing the unusual behaviour of the dog, Marykutty observed the area and found the broken power line and sensed danger.
Soon they alerted the Karukachal Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) office. Officials disconnected the power line.
In the incident, ‘Rani’ sustained a minor injury on her leg.