Burn injuries spotted on anganwadi girl student; probe begins
Kottiyam (Kollam): Burn injuries were spotted on the body of a four-year-old girl who took admission in an anganwadi at Kottiyam. The injuries were found by anganwadi worker, Sridevi. Based on her complaint, Kottiyam police registered a case and started investigation.
On Monday morning, a woman and her daughter came to 17th number anganwadi in Adhichanallur panchayat. Later, during the course of work, Sridevi noticed a burn injury on the leg of the girl. She also found more burn injuries all over the body. Following that she alerted the matter to the supervisor of Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS).
On knowing about the incident, block panchayat member Mylakkadu Sunil alerted the matter to Childline and Kottiyam police. Further Childline counsellor and police recorded the statement of the child and mother.
The mother told police that the child was at the Nirmala Shishu Bhavan, Kakkanad for the last two years. She brought the child home on July 5. The burn injuries were on the body when they brought the child from the children’s home. But, the children’s home authorities had convinced the parents that the burn injuries were the impact of chickenpox.
A final decision will be taken on the child on Tuesday after holding a meeting of child welfare committee. After recording the statement of the child, police took her for a medical examination.