Violin maestro Prof TN Krishnan passes away in Chennai


T N Krishnan had played violin for many legendary singers like Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer and Madurai Mani Iyer.

Prof TN Krishnan | Photo: Mathrubhumi

Chennai: Violin maestro and Padma awardee Prof T N Krishnan passed away here at the age of 92 on Monday evening.

He was suffering from age related ailments and breathed his last at his residence in Chennai. He had performed at over 25,000 violin concerts within and outside the country.

Krishnan was born to A Narayana Iyer and Ammini Ammal at Tripunithura in Kerala on October 6, 1928, and later settled in Chennai. He started practicing violin at the age of 3 and debuted at 7. Noted Hindustani musician Dr N Rajam is Krishnan's sister.

T N Krishnan had played violin for many legendary singers like Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer and Madurai Mani Iyer. He also served as the vice chairman of Kendra Sangeet Natak Academy.

TN Krishnan is survived by wife Kamala and children Viji Krishnan and Sriram Krishnan, who is also a noted violinist.

He also received many prestigious awards like Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, Sangeetha Kalanidhi Award, Kendra Sangeet Natak Academy Award and Swathi Sangeetha Puraskaram.

T N Krishnan was one among the violin trio in Carnatic music, the other two being Lalgudi Jayaraman and M S Gopalakrishnan. Krishnan also taught violin to many students in his academic career at Chennai Music College and he was the dean for the School of Music and Fine Arts at the University of Delhi.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Youtube
Telegram
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.