Orange triggers deadly allergy in asthmatic toddler
New York: A toddler in Pennsylvania suffered a life-threatening allergic reaction called anaphylaxis after eating an orange - the first time such a case has been reported in someone so young.
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death. The symptoms including itchy rashes, throat swelling, and low blood pressure. Common causes include insect bites, stings, foods and medications
'The two and-a-half year-old girl ate an orange and within a few minutes, she had developed severe anaphylaxis,' said Sigrid DaVeiga, allergist and member of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI).
'Her lips and tongue swelled, she broke out in hives and could not breathe well. Her parents immediately got her to an emergency room, and she was flown by helicopter to a pediatric intensive care unit,' DaVeiga told the gathering at ACAAI's annual scientific meeting.
Following treatment and a 48-hour hospital stay, the girl recovered and was able to go home.
Upon examination of her medical history, doctors discovered that she had previously had orange juice with no reaction, but more importantly, that she had undiagnosed asthma.
Allergists found that she was allergic to both orange and peach.
According to ACAAI, it is very rare for anyone to have a severe allergic reaction to an orange.
Many people do not realise allergies and asthma go hand-in-hand and about 90 percent of kids with asthma also have allergies.
'Even more important, when asthma is undiagnosed or poorly controlled, children are at risk of suffering difficult-to-treat allergic reactions to food,' DaVeiga concluded.