Students of private dental college infected with MRSA bacteria
Perumpilavu (Thrissur): Students of a private dental college in Chalissery were infected with MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) bacteria. Based on the complaint filed by students and their parents, Palakkad district medical officer and officials of Chalissery Community Health Center inspected the college. However, the health department informed that the preventive measures have begun and there is nothing to fear.
Fluids from 51 inmates of the hostel of Chalissery Royal Dental College were collected and tested in a private laboratory in Kunnamkulam. Among them, four were diagnosed positive and were shifted to their homes from college hostel. Currently, there are 360 students in college and 191 among them are residential students. The health department has decided to examine the fluids of everyone including staff.
A final year BDS student of the college had died on April 18 at a hospital in Kozhikode. It is suspected that the deceased student was infected with the bacteria. This triggered fear among the final year students of BDS. Some students did clinical check-ups in private laboratories and were found infected. Following that parents filed complaints.
Alleging delay in preventive measures by management, house surgeons and students boycotted classes and clinics on Thursday. Based on a complaint filed to the health minister, a team of staff lead by Dr Sushama from Chalissery health centre visited the college and responded to the students. The team was sent by DMO Dr Reetha who acted upon the complaint filed to the health minister.
It is assumed that the bacteria might have spread from fluid of someone who visited the clinical department. Dr Sushama said the four students who were confirmed positive with MRSA bacteria are healthy. Their fluids will be tested again at the laboratory and awareness camps will be conducted to remove fear among students and parents.
However, principal of the college Dr E Anuradha said that the reason behind the death of a student was pneumonia and it wasn’t confirmed if the student died of MRSA bacteria. Director of the college V V K Moiteen said that to make the preventive measure more effective, all sections of the college will be sterilized and clinical department will be made bacteria free.