Flood relief: Things to be noted while storing medicines
In the backdrop of the flood that hit Kerala recently, people are warned to take necessary precautions to get rid of the possible health threats. With the hospitals flooded and other medical facilities unavailable, we have to be extra cautious to resist diseases. Emergency medicines need to be stored till the hospitals resume normal functioning.
Points to be noted while collecting and distributing medicines:
- Use medicines only as directed by doctors.
- Those who collect medicines need to coordinate with medical authorities.
- Do not distribute expired medicines.
- Cover the medicines properly to protect from moisture.
- Commonly used medicines like Paracetamol, Dolo and antibiotics are required mostly.
- Store ORS packets to prevent dehydration due to diarrhoea.
- Keep medicines like insulin which need to be refrigerated in ice boxes.
- Sanitary napkins, Dettol, ointments for pain, band aid, soap, baby diaper, adult diaper, plastic mats, candle and baby food also can be stored for distribution.