8-month-old baby swallows piece of wood; gets new lease of life at Kannur medical college
Pariyaram: An 8-month-old baby who swallowed a piece of wood and suffered breathing trouble got a new lease of life at Kannur Government Medical College here. The baby, hailing from Kottiyoor, was saved through Rigid Bronchoscopy, a novel medical procedure.
The baby was playing in the kitchen and accidentally swallowed a wood piece. Though the mother tried to take it out, she could not find it. Suddenly the baby started choking and was rushed to hospital.
The doctors successfully removed the piece of wood from the baby's lungs. Medical college principal Dr K Ajayakumar and hospital superintendent Dr K Sudeep said the baby was given anesthesia before treatment.
The medical team that rescued the baby includes Dr D K Manoj, Dr Rajeev Ram, Dr K Muhammed Shafeeq, Dr MTP Muhammes, Dr Charles Thomas and Dr Basheer Mandyan.