Try Andhra style fish curry for a change
Fish curry is a delicacy in Kerala. There are those who don’t need anything else if there is fish curry. Here is how to make Andhra style fish curry.
- Oil: 2 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Fennel seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Black peppercorns: ½ teaspoon
- Fenugreek: ¼ teaspoon
- Shallots: ¾ cup
- Garlic (finely sliced): 2 tablespoons
- Tomato (chopped): ½ cup
- Fish (chopped): 250 grams (any large fish variety will do)
- Oil: As per requirement
- Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Green chilly: 2 nos
- Shallots (finely sliced): ¼ cups
- Garlic (finely sliced): 4 nos
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Tamarind: 1 golf ball sized piece soaked in a glass of water
- Curry leaves: As per requirement
- Salt: As per taste
Heat up 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan and saute the fennel, cumin, fenugreek and black pepper. Add shallots and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped tomato and cook until it starts to break apart. Take it off the heat and let it cool down to normal temperature. Then grind it to a fine paste.
Heat up oil in a pan and crackle the mustard seeds. Add shallots and garlic. Saute for a few minutes. Add chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Once the spices give out their aroma, add the tamarind water. Pour in 2 cups of water, curry leaves and salt. Bring it to a boil. Add the tomato paste and reduce the heat to low. Add the fish pieces and cook on low flame with the lid on until ready. (It takes around 15 minutes). Ready to serve.