Got leftover idlis? Spice them up and fry
Idli is a popular breakfast item. But left over idlis can be a chore. Here is how you can turn leftover idlis into mouth-watering fried idlis.
- Idli: 3 nos (quartered)
- Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 1 leaflet
- Dried red chilli: 3 nos
- Cashew nut: 10 nos
- Ginger: 1 small piece (finely chopped)
- Garlic: 4 cloves (finely sliced)
- Green chilli: 3 nos (finely sliced)
- Onion: 1 nos (finely sliced)
- Tomato: 2 nos (finely sliced)
- Chilli powder: 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: As per taste
- Butter: 1 tablespoon
- Tomato sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Oil: As per taste
- Coriander leaves: 1 pinch (finely sliced)
How to prepare
Marinate the idli pieces using half of the chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Then deep fry them in oil. Melt some butter in another pan and crackle the mustard seeds. Then add the curry leaves, dried red chilli and cashew nut. Sauté them for a few minutes before keeping it aside.
In a pan, heat up some oil and add the ginger, garlic, green chilli and onion and cook until they soften. Once the onion is translucent, add the tomatoes and cook until they soften. Add the spices cooked in butter and sauté for a minute. Then add the remaining chilli powder, turmeric powder, tomato sauce and salt. Add the fried idli pieces and mix well. Once the idli is cooked, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.