Chitranna or Lemon rice
Lemon rice is a rice-based dish widely prepared in South India. This recipe is also one of a kind as it doesn't get easily spoiled. It is the best to pack in lunch boxes when going on long trips.
- Par boiled rice – 1 ½ cups
- Lemon juice – Accordingly
- Salt – Accordingly
- Oil – Accordingly
- Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp
- Black gram – ¾ tbsp
- Chana dal/ Split chickpeas – 1 tbsp
- Peanut – 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp.
- Dried chilli, crushed – 2 no
- Green chilli, cut into pieces – 2 no
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 stalk
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Then boil the rice.
- Add lemon juice and one tablespoon of oil above the rice.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry cashew nuts until it turns brown.
- To this add mustard seeds. When it crackles add chilli and curry leaves.
- Now add turmeric powder, asafoetida and two or three table spoon of water. When the water evaporates, shift the contents in the pan to the rice.
- Mix well and cook for 20 minutes
- Serve with curd, papad and pickle.