Enjoy jackfruit kumbilappam
Jackfruit is readily available now. Here is how to make kumbilappam using ripe jackfruit.
- Ripe jackfruit: 2 cups (remove seeds and the core and take only the flesh)
- Jaggery: 500 grams
- Puttu podi/rice flour: 1 kilogram
- Cardamom powder: 2 teaspoons
- Ghee: 200 ml
- Coconut pieces: AS per requirement
- Clove powder: Of 4 nos
- Water: As per requirement
- Ilamangam or banana leaves: As per requirement
Roughly chop the jackfruit flesh and saute them ghee or oil in a large pot. In another pan, make jaggery syrup by combining jaggery and water. Once the jackfruit is cooked, add the jaggery syrup and combine thoroughly. Add the coconut pieces and mix well. saute for a few minutes and take it off the heat.
Once the mix cools down to room temperature, add the cardamom, clove powder and rice flour. Mix thoroughly and combine well. Once the mix reaches the consistency of chapatti dough, fill them into Ilamangam or banana leaves rolled into the shape of funnels. Put them in a steaming pot and cook until ready. These kumbilappams can last for two weeks.
(Those who need more sweetness can add more jaggery syrup)