Toddy shop style fish head curry
One of the most famous items from toddy shops is the fish head curry. It goes well with rice, chapatti or roti and tapioca. Here is how to make a fish head curry at home.
- Fish head: 1 nos (Bluefin Trevally, Seer fish or King fish are good choices)
- Garlic: 12 cloves (crushed)
- Ginger: 1 thumb sized piece (crushed)
- Shallots: 250 grams (crushed)
- Green chilli: 10 nos (crushed)
- Tomato: 1 nos (chopped)
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder: 3 tablespoons
- Garam masala: 2 tablespoons
- Chilli powder: 5 tablespoons
- Kudam puli (Malabar tamarind): 1 nos
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves: 2 leaflets
- Water: as per requirement
Heat up oil in a clay pan or pot. Add fenugreek, mustard seeds and curry leaves and let them splutter. Add shallots, garlic, ginger and 7 green chillies and saute for a few more minutes. Once the shallots soften, add black pepper powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Combine well and saute for a few minutes.
Once the spices give out their aroma, add the chopped tomato and cook until it softens. Then add water as per requirement (the water should cover at least reach half of the fish head) and let it come to a boil. Add kudampuli and salt to taste. Reduce the heat to low and add the fish head. Add the curry leaves and remaining green chillies. Cover with a lid and let the fish cook. Half way through, turn the fish. Once the fish is properly cooked, take it off the heat.