Make toddy shop style chicken curry right at home
Now a days, people like toddy shop style curries more than food prepared in five star hotels. Here is how you can make spicy chicken curry just like it’s made in toddy shops in the Gods own country.
- Chicken: 1 kg (chopped into small pieces)
- Black pepper: 2 tablespoons (crushed)
- Lemon juice: 2 tablespoons
- Onion: 3 nos (thinly sliced)
- Tomato: 1 nos (thinly sliced)
- Green chilli: 2 nos (sliced)
- Ginger: 1 thumb sized piece (crushed)
- Garlic: 5 cloves (crushed)
- Curry leaves: 2 leaflets
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tablespoon
- Garam/chicken masala: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder: 2 tablespoons
- Fennel seeds: 1/4 teaspoons
- Oil: 4 tablespoons
- Salt: As per taste
- Water: 1 cup
Take the chicken pieces in a bowl and add black pepper, turmeric powder and lemon juice. Mix well and cover all the chicken pieces. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
In a pan, heat up oil and saute the ginger and garlic. Once they soften, add the onions and curry leaves. Once the onions start to turn brown, add the garam/chicken masala, coriander powder and fennel seeds.
Once the spices start to give out their aroma, add the marinated chicken pieces. Mix well and saute for a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes and green chilli. Mix thoroughly and let in cook for a few minutes. Pour in half a cup of water and cook with the lid on. Once the chicken is cooked, take the lid off. Saute and cook for few more minutes. Once the gravy reaches the desired consistency, take it off the heat. Serve hot.