Hot, sweet and sour, this dates chutney goes well with everything
Here is a dates chutney that goes well with dosa, idli, rice, chapati, appam, cutlets, French fries etc.
- Seedless dates: 250 grams (soaked for 2-3 hours)
- Dried ginger powder: 2 teaspoons
- Tamarind: 20 grams (made into a paste)
- Chilli powder: 1/2 teaspoons
- Salt: 2 teaspoons
- Water: As per requirement
Throw the soaked dates into a blender and blitz into affine paste. Add some water to loosen it up and keep it aside. Mix together the tamarind, dried ginger powder, chilli powder and salt and add the mix into the dates. Heat up a thick bottom pan and cook the chutney on a low heat until it bubbles. Take it off the heat once it reaches the desired consistency.
(This recipe was prepared as part of the state Women & Child Development Department’s Sampushta Keralam (Nutrition Mission) project)