Puliyila or the tamarind leaves are seen in our courtyards. We use tamarind for cooking but the leaves are usually abandoned. Well, that is not the case in Muvattupuzha. They proudly own a recipe called Puliyila made of fish. Today let us try our hands on the hot and spicy Puliyila.
- Freshwater fish (Indian anchovy or Snakehead murrel) – ½ kg
- Tender tamarind leaves – One handful
- Coconut, grated – ½ piece
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Shallot – 1 no
- Garlic – 1 bulb
- Curry leaves – 1 stalk
- Oil – Accordingly
- Bird's Eye Chilli (Kanthari Mulaku) – Accordingly
- Salt – Accordingly
- Wash and clean the fishes.
- Mix tamarind leaves, coconut, ginger, bird's eye chilli, shallot, garlic, curry leaves and salt in a bowl.
- Grind the mixture in a metate or a mixer grinder.
- Cut each fish into two and add to the mixture.
- Pour oil and mix well.
- Now spread the mixture on banana leaves.
- Fold the sides of the leaves and steam cook.
Tasty, yummy Muvattupuzha special Puliyila is ready.