Have you tried chicken cooked in pumpkin leaves?
There are plenty of dishes made of chicken. But this grilled chicken with pumpkin leaves recipe is definitely one from outside the box.
- Chicken: 1 kg (boneless pieces are better)
- Pumpkin leaves: 3 tender ones (finely chopped)
- Shallots: 1/4 cup (finely sliced)
- Ginger: 1 1/2 teaspoon (minced)
- Garlic: 4 cloves (finely sliced or minced)
- Lime juice: 2 teaspoons
- Coriander leaves: 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves: 2 leaflets
- Coriander powder: 2 teaspoons
- Black pepper powder: 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon & star anise: 1 1/2 teaspoons (roasted, ground to fine powder)
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: As per taste
- Oil: As per requirement
- Banana leaf: For grilling/pan frying
Take the chicken pieces and score. Marinate the chicken with lime juice, black pepper powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes. Then deep fry the chicken. In a pan, fry the ginger, garlic, half of the shallots and coriander leaves. Once they turn golden brown, take it off the heat and keep it aside.
Take a banana leaf and keep it on top of the heat to make it pliable. Apply oil on the inside of the banana leaf. Spread a layer of curry leaves and then a layer of pumpkin leaves on top of it. Pour the fried shallots through a sieve to take out the juices. Pour it on top of the Pumpkin leaves and then put fried chicken pieces on top. Spread coriander leaves on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cinnamon and star anise powder on top. Close all sides of the banana leaf to make a packet. Put this on the grill or on top of a pan. Cook on either side for 10 minutes. Serve hot.