Have jackfruit in your backyard? Make aviyal
Jackfruit is a versatile ingredient that can be turned into a variety of food products. Here is an aviyal recipe that uses jackfruit, its seeds and raw mango.
- Jackfruit flesh: 25 nos (sliced into long strips)
- Jackfruit seeds: 1/2 cup (peeled and sliced into long strips)
- Raw mango: 1/2 (sliced)
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Green chilli: 3 nos
- Birds eye chilli: 3 nos
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Shallots: 2 nos
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Chilli powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut oil: 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: As per requirement
- Salt: As per taste
- Water: as per requirement
In a clay pot, add the jackfruit flesh, jackfruit seeds, raw mango, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook on medium heat after pouring in some water.
Add the grated coconut, shallots, garlic, curry leaves, green chilli, bird's eye chilli and cumin into a blender and grind them into a rough paste. Once the jackfruit is cooked, add this paste on top and cook with the lid on for five minutes. Then mix well and add a tablespoon of coconut oil and some curry leaves. Cook for a minute or two and then turn the heat off. Cover and let it sit for five minutes. Jackfruit aviyal ready.