Fed up with veg-biriyani? Try this mushroom version
Biriyani is a world famous dish. However, vegetarians may not have much to choose from when it comes to this popular dish. Here is a recipe to cheer up vegetarians who love biriyani.
- Biriyani rice/basmati rice: 3 cups (cooked)
- Mushroom: 500 grams (finely sliced)
- Onion: 500 grams (finely sliced)
- Ginger: 1 piece
- Garlic: 6 cloves
- Fennel powder: 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper power: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee: 100 grams
- Cashew nuts: 10 nos
- Raisins: 10 nos
- Tomato sauce: 1/4 cup
- Salt: As per taste
- Curry leaves: As per requirement
- Coriander leaves: 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Carrots: finely sliced (for garnishing)
How to prepare
Heat up a pan and cook the mushrooms with turmeric powder, fennel powder, black pepper powder and salt. Keep it aside. Pour half of the ghee into a pan and saute the onions. Crush the ginger and garlic into a fine paste. Add it into the onions and mix well. Once the onions are translucent, add the cooked mushrooms.
In a pot, thrown in the cooked rice, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Mix well and cook on a low heat. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the remaining ghee and add them to the rice. Garnish with carrot, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Serve hot.