Beware; Your full jar soda may not be as good as it seems
Kalpetta: The food safety department has started inspections after several complaints were received regarding full jar soda, the drink that has been trending in Kerala lately.
During inspections held in Kalpetta town, food safety department found that shopkeepers were serving full jar soda without complying to any of the norms.
The water used to clean the large and small glasses in which the drink is served was not being changed. The under-side of the small glasses, which are dropped into the larger glasses filled with soda, were not cleaned properly. Officials said that such lapses could lead to food poisoning.
While buying refreshing drinks like the full jar soda, people should be careful that the shop and its surrounds were clean and hygienic. If they find any issue with the quality or hygiene, people should refuse the product, the officials said.
Customers keep these in mind
- Buy soda and other bottled drinks from licensed shops
- Ensure that the bottles carry labels indicating that the product complies with food safety standards
- Check and validate manufacturing date, expiry date and food safety license number
Directions for shopkeepers
- The traders must take food safety license/registration and display it at their shops
- Medical fitness certificate of the employees must be kept inside the shop
- Water, Ice and other items used in the shop must be clean and hygienic
- Food items must be prepared in a clean and hygienic environment
- Staff must maintain personal hygiene