Basbousa, the sweet with a quirky name
Basbousa, is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake made from rava flecked with coconut and soaked in simple sweet syrup.
- Curd – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Egg – 2 nos
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Butter – 6 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- Rava – 1 cup
- Maida – ½ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- In a bowl, mix curd, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, salt, egg, milk and butter. Stir properly and keep aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add rava, maida and grated coconut to it and mix well.
- Grease a baking dish with butter. Pour the mixture to the dish and flatten it.
- Put nuts above it, if required.
- Preheat the oven.
- Bake the basbousa in the oven at 180 degree Celsius for 30 minutes.
- In a dish add 1 cup of sugar. Add water. Stir in low flame for 15 to 25 minutes and make sugar syrup.
- Take out the basbousa and pour the sugar syrup on it.
- Cut into required shape and serve hot.