Kochi: Health issues, including memory loss and mental illness, are reportedly surging among people who have recovered from COVID-19. The health experts have informed that many people who were affected with Covid 19 twice or more, have complained of post-covid issues like mental pressure, depression and memory loss.
The multiple infections of Covid-19 may affect the blood flow to the brain. Memory loss, depression, anxiety, sleeplessness and mental pressure are caused due to poor blood circulation to the brain.
Science Journal ‘Lancet’ reported that at least 33 per cent of the patients suffer from severe mental issues within six months of recovering from the illness. Among them, 17 per cent are diagnosed with anxiety problems, 15 per cent with depression, 7 per cent with addiction to alcohol or other psychotropic drugs, 5 per cent with persisting sleeplessness, 2 per cent with memory loss, 1 per cent with paralysis, and 0.7 per cent persons with a brain haemorrhage.
The virus may affect the information processing capacity of the brain and vivacity of the person, which causes a lethargic nature in the patients. The chances of such conditions are high in those affected with COVID-19 multiple times, said psychiatrist Dr Arun B Nair of Govt Medical College in Thiruvananthapuram.
Seek post-Covid treatment in the following conditions
- If sleeplessness persists for more than a week
- A condition of depression continued for more than two weeks
- If anxiety affects the ability to work or daily interactions with people
- Take rest until complete recovery
- Ensure sleep for 8 hours
- Keep your body hydrated and ensure blood circulation by drinking water regularly
- Ensure the required amount of Vitamin D in the body