How to get rid of your belly fat in 30 days?
Spare tyre, beer belly, muffin top, belly fat-there are so many nicknames for this health condition, but they all mean the same--Excess fat in your abdomen.
It is true that excess belly fat can knock down your confidence level and can be a reason for chronic mental trauma in many cases. But more than that, belly fat can be a warning sign of your deteriorating health.
Unlike popular belief, strict exercise regime alone cannot cut down the fat in your abdomen. One need to follow a disciplined diet and lifestyle. This article will change the way one look at belly fat for good. It is completely natural and very simple.
Understand your body
Take a mirror image of yourself and accept your body as it is. This is you. It’s curvy and somewhere bumpy, yet beautiful. But still you are going to get rid of it, since it poses a serious risk to your health.
Calculate your calorie intake
Since you have decided to cut down that ‘ugly’ fat from your beautiful body, you are going to study about your daily calorie intake. Make a list of the food that you take in every day. Now calculate the calorie intake using a calorie calculator. An active male adult in the age group of 31-50 need around 2,500-2,800 calories per day while an active female in this age group need 2,200 calories. (A person having irregular diet and no exercise must be taking more calories than this).
Regular exercise is an essential part of our belly-fat-reduction strategy. Usual exercises for reducing belly fat include sit ups, leg raise, bicycle crunch, Russian twist and plank. The most popular among them is a sit-up and leg raise.
Sleep like a king
Ensure that you are getting a minimum of 8 hour sleep every day. Sleep-deprivation can have a direct effect on the size of your waistline for a couple of reasons. It can throw both your metabolism and hormone balance off the track. So, sleep well.
Drink plenty of water
Water cleanses off anything and everything in your body. If you are not drinking enough water, you will not be able to cut down your belly fat effectively. While a normal person needs at least 3 litres of water per day, people looking to cut belly fat should take 4 litres of water a day.
Drinking water ensures that any waste toxins released from expended fat tissue will exit your body smoothly without putting undue stress on your liver and kidneys.
Walk, walk, walk
You are about to start a fresh, consistent exercise regime. Start with a 20-minute walk. Even after you start your belly-burning exercises, 20-minute morning walk will go happily along with it.
Change to a more disciplined lifestyle
Timing of your sleep and food intake are very important factors that control your metabolism. There are two things that needs to be addressed with regard to sleep timings.
- Avoid being awake late night and wake up early as far as possible. (Adjust your sleep timing to 8 hours if your job demands to be awake at late night).
- Completely avoid food intake after 8.30 in the night.
Plan Your Diet
- Begin your day with a glass of water. Lemon juice without sugar is preferred in the morning as it can build immunity and improve metabolism.
- For those on a belly-fat-burning diet, food should be low on carbohydrate and high on protein.
- Chewing the food properly is another thing that many of us loss out
- A mixed juice of ash gourd also called winter melon (Elavan or Kumbalanga) and cucumber in empty stomach will help to downsize your belly.
- Increase intake for fibre-rich food like leafy-vegetables, wheat, brown rice, fruits like pears and Mosambi (sweet lime).
- Citrus fruits are excellent fat burners that boosts metabolism and the acid present in it burns fat faster compared to other fruits.
- If you love fish, go for small fish varieties like sardines (mathi) and anchovy (kozhuva, natholi).
- If you are a fan of chicken dishes, then moderate its consumption to once in a week. Avoid leg pieces.
- Cut down red meat, sugar and sugary sweets as well as salt.
- As we finish our dinner before 8.30 pm as mentioned earlier, take a glass of cinnamon water before going to bed.
Note: For preparing cinnamon water, take three pieces of cinnamon stick and boil with one and half cups of water. Drink after it cools down. Cinnamon is great for reducing blood sugar levels, protecting you against extremely high or low insulin levels. Plus, cinnamon increases body temperature, producing a number of chemical reaction that, in turn, speed up your body’s metabolism. Thus you end up burning excess calories.
(Always consult your doctor before starting any weight loss method)
Inputs and pics by Vipin Vishnudas, gym trainer and founder of Green Army Natural Fitness Programme.