Scholarships for differently-abled students
New Delhi: National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation, under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, has invited applications for the award of 2500 Scholarships for differently abled students.
The objective of the Scheme is to provide financial assistance to the differently-abled students to enable them to pursue professional or technical courses from recognized institutes and get employed/self-employed.
This scheme envisages encouraging differently-abled students by providing scholarships and other assistance to pursue professional or technical courses and various skill development courses for their empowerment.
Every year, 2500 scholarships will be provided to the differently-abled students throughout the country. 30% scholarships will be reserved for girls, which will be transferable to male students in case of non-availability of female candidates.
These scholarships will be available for studies in India, for all differently-abled students who are covered under the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunity, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 and the National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999.
Only Indian Nationals will be eligible for scholarships.
The benefits available under the scheme include the following:
- Non-refundable fees to be awarded fully, in case of Government/Government-aided institution. In case of private Institutes the reimbursement would be restricted to similar courses in Government/Government-aided institutions.
- Maintenance allowance to be paid to the students for a period of 10 months only in one academic year at following rates.
- Professional Graduate Courses: Rs. 2500/- (Maintenance allowance (Rs. Per month) and Rs.6000/- (Book/Stationery allowance (Rs. Per annum)
- Professional Post-Graduate courses: 3000/- and Rs.10000/- respectively
Visual, Hearing and Orthopedically handicapped differently-abled students, in addition will be provided aids and appliances, only once during lifetime, as given below:
- Brailler / Brailler Typewriter- Rs. 10,000 (Estimated cost)- For blind
- Laptop or Desktop with Screen reading software- Rs. 40,000 - For blind
- Laptop or Desktop with Screen Magnification software- Rs.60,000 - For low vision
- Binaural digital programmable hearing aid with annual provision of button cells - Rs 50,000 + Rs 3600 p.a.
- Cell phone with SMS SIM card-Rs 5,000
- Laptop or Desktop with Wi-Fi (Blue tooth) facility- Rs 70,000
Laptop or Desktop- Rs. 40,000/-
Conditions for Scholarship: Scholarship will be awarded for only one course at a time.
Financial assistance will be given to pursue degree and/or post graduate level technical and professional courses from a recognized institution. Maintenance, book/stationary allowance and grant for purchase of assistive devices will be credited to the student's account. Non-refundable fees shall be reimbursed to the student on production of proof of deposit of fees or will be paid directly to the Institute under intimation to the student.
Students who get admission to a college to pursue technical/professional courses, on the basis of a competitive examination will be eligible for the scholarship without any consideration of percentage of marks at higher secondary/graduation level.
Students who get admission in technical/professional courses without facing any competitive examination will also be eligible for scholarship. However, such students should have not less than 50% marks at higher secondary/graduation level. Selection of these students will be done strictly on merit basis. In case of female students should have not less than 45% marks at higher secondary/graduation level.
Students who pursue their education through correspondence would also be eligible for the scholarship.
The annual income of the beneficiary/parent or guardian of beneficiary should not exceed Rs. 3.00 lakh from all sources. However, preference shall be given to economically weaker students.
A candidate, who is awarded scholarship for one course, will be eligible for another course too after its completion. However, the awardees will not be eligible for a similar or equivalent course.
A scholarship holder under this Scheme will not avail any other scholarship/stipend for pursuing the course.
Continuation of the scholarship in subsequent years will be subject to successful completion of the course during the preceding year. However, grace period shall be admissible for Girl Students and Students failing in category C-4 is of two years and for all other categories is for one year w.e.f. the academic year 2014-15.
Other Conditions for the Scholarship: The scholarship is depended on the satisfactory progress and conduct of the scholar. If it is reported by the head of the Institution at any time that a scholar has by reasons of his/her own act of default failed to make satisfactory progress or has been guilty of misconduct such as resorting to or participating in strikes, irregularity in attendance without the permission of the authorities concerned etc., the authority sanctioning the scholarship may either cancel the scholarship or stop or withhold further payment for such period as it may think fit.
If a student is found to have obtained a scholarship by false statement, his/her scholarship will be cancelled forthwith and the amount of the scholarship paid will be recovered. The student concerned will be blacklisted and debarred for scholarship in any scheme forever.
A scholarship awarded may be cancelled if the scholar changes the subject of the course of study for which the scholarship was originally awarded or changes the Institution of study without prior approval of the Government. The amount already paid may also be recovered at the discretion of the Government.
A scholar is liable to refund the scholarship amount at the discretion of the Government if during the course of the year, the studies for which the scholarship has been awarded, is discontinued by him/her.
The Scholarship will not be paid for the period of internship/housemanship in the M.B.B.S. course or for a practical training in any course, if the student is in receipt of some remuneration during the internship period or some allowance/stipend during the practical training in any course.
The conditions can be changed at any time at the discretion of the Government of India.
Procedure for application: Application can be submitted online at www.nhfdc.nic.in, any time during an academic year.
A copy of the submitted application should be sent to National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation, Red Cross Bhawan, Sector-12, Faridabad, Haryana-121007 or PHD House, 4/2, 3rd Floor, Siri Institutional Area August Kranti Marg, New Delhi-110016. Each applicant shall be given a registration number on receipt of the application. The screening committee shall examine these applications quarterly and the scholarship amount will be disbursed.
Renewal of the scholarship is in next year subject to successful completion of the course in the previous year. However, grace period shall be admissible for Girl Students and Students failing in category C-4 is of two years and for all other categories is for one year w.e.f. the academic year 2014-15.
The following enclosures will have to be furnished along with the application:
- Academic record-attested copies of relevant certificates/mark sheets for the qualifying examination
- Proof of annual income-Proof of income shall include last salary slip of parent/guardian, acknowledgement of income tax/income certificate e from revenue official/gazetted officer/public representative e.g. MP, MLA, MLC, Panchayat officials etc.;
- Attested copy of Disability certificate
- Course fee receipt if any, duly paid during the academic session
- Receipt/Invoice of eligible assistive devices duly countersigned by the authorized signatory of the institution
- Attested copy of Aadhaar Card
- In case of continuation of scholarship in a succeeding year, a copy of the mark sheet of the preceding year.
Processing of applications
The procedure for processing of applications will be outsourced to a reputed agency. All the applications will be processed in a time bound manner. The applications scrutinized by the authorized agency shall be placed before a screening committee periodically for final award of scholarships. Income certificate is to be submitted by the student only once i.e. at the time of sanction of scholarship,
Applications can be rejected in the following cases:
- Applications received after 30.06.2018
- Incomplete in any respect
- Not accompanied by copies of the required documents
- Any fresh paper / enclosures submitted after closing date, shall not be considered
For details, visit http://www.nhfdc.nic.in/scholarship.html