PM's scholarship for dependent wards of Ex Servicemen / Ex Coast Guard
New Delhi: Kendriya Sainik Board (KSB) Secretariat, Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare, Ministry of Defence, Government of India, has invited fresh/new applications for Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for academic year 2017-18. Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme aims at encouraging higher technical and professional education for the dependent wards of Ex Servicemen / Ex Coast Guard personnel and their widows.
Number and value of Scholarship: A total of 5500 scholarships are allotted every academic year, equally divided amongst boys and girls, for a period of one to five years as per the duration of the courses approved by the concerned regulatory bodies. Scholarship amount of Rs.2000/- p.m for boys and Rs.2250/- for girls is paid annually. The scholarship is admissible for only two wards of ESM / Ex-Coast Guard.
Eligibility: Applicants should be enrolled for Professional Degree Courses like BE, B Tech, BDS, MBBS, B.Ed, BBA, BCA, B Pharma, etc. duly recognized by the respective Government Regulatory Bodies, such as All India Council for Technical Education, Medical Council of India, UGC etc. Master Degree Courses except MBA / Management / MCA Courses, do not come under the purview of PMSS. The Scholarship can be availed for one course only. Those studying abroad and those pursuing courses through distance learning are not eligible. The detailed list of eligible courses is given at http://ksb.gov.in/eligible-courses.htm
Applicant should be Dependent Wards / Widows of Ex Servicemen & Ex Coast Guard personnel who died in harness / disabled due to causes attributable to military service / coast guard service, irrespective of the rank. Wards of Civilians including Para Military Personnel are not eligible. Male wards, who are dependents of ESM up to 25 years of age at the time of admission in the said course are eligible for PM scholarship. Female ward will be eligible till she gets married. No age limit is there for widow candidate.
Applicant should have taken admission in 2017 and should have scored 60% and above in Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ), which is 10+2 / Diploma / Graduation. Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) for entry to various professional courses differs. For MBBS, MEQ is 10+2 whereas for BE/B Tech, it is 10+2 / Diploma. It is graduation for B.Ed and MBA. A candidate must have minimum 60% marks in MEQ to apply for PM Scholarship Scheme. All subjects will be taken for calculation of 60% marks. Those studying in 2nd and subsequent years are not eligible, except for integrated courses, where 1st portion is academic and 2nd portion is integrated as professional course.
For Integrated Courses also, the minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) will be 10+2. For Dual Degree Integrated courses, which have both the courses as Professional/Technical (like BE+ME, B.Tech+M.Tech, BBA+MBA etc.), only first professional degree will be granted scholarship. For Dual Degree Integrated courses which have first degree as academic (Non Professional) and second degree as Professional/Technical (like BA + LLB, B.Com + LLB. etc), student will be paid scholarship for the professional part of the course and not for non-professional/academic part. When 1st degree is non-professional and 2nd degree is professional, applicant while seeking PM scholarship from third year onwards, should have completed his/her previous two years of non-professional course without fail. Repetition/RA/Failure will make student ineligible to apply for scholarship. Student should clear all subjects of 1st & 2nd year in first attempt and within stipulated time frame from date of admission, failing which, he/she will not be considered for award of scholarship and application if submitted will be rejected.
Priority for Grant of Scholarship: Order of preference for selection of candidates will be as under.
- Category 1:Wards & Widows of ESM / Ex Coast Guard personnel killed in action
- Category 2: Wards of ESM / Ex Coast Guard personnel disabled in action and boarded out of service with disability attributable to Military / Coast Guard service
- Category 3: Wards & Widows of ESM / Ex Coast Guard personnel who died while in service for causes attributable to Military / Coast Guard Service
- Category 4: Wards of ESM / Ex Coast Guard personnel disabled in service with disability attributable to Military / Coast Guard Service
- Category 5: Wards & Widows of ESM / Ex Coast Guard personnel in receipt of gallantry awards
- Category 6: Wards / Widows of ESM / Ex Coast Guard personnel (PBOR Only)
Application: Application has to be filled online at KSB website www.ksb.gov.in and the relevant documents & certificates uploaded, latest by 15th November, 2017. Hard copy / paper application will not be entertained. A person can apply for one course only.
Check-list for applicants is given at http://ksb.gov.in/how-apply-scholarship.htm
The documents to be uploaded are:
- Ex-Servicemen / Ex-Coast Guard Certificate as per Annexure-1 (original to be scanned and uploaded)
- Bonafide Certificate duly filled up correctly and signed by Principal/Dean/Registrar of the Institute / College as per Annexure-2 (original to be scanned and uploaded)
- Certificate from his/her bank stating that Aadhaar Card of student linked with his / her bank account number as per Annexure-3 (original to be scanned and uploaded)
- Matriculation Certificate for verifying the Date of Birth (self-attested copy to be scanned and uploaded)
- Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) certificate as applicable. (10+2 Mark sheet / Graduation (mark sheets of 3 years) / Diploma (mark sheets of all semesters). (Copy attested by Principal/Dean/Registrar to be scanned and uploaded)
- 1st page of Bank Pass Book (PNB/SBI only) clearly showing name and A/c Number of Student (Original to be scanned and uploaded)
- Aadhaar Card of Student (original to be scanned and uploaded)
- Copy of PPO and the following supporting documents in case of Category 1 to 5 (original to be scanned and uploaded): (i) Category 1: Part II Order Copy of POR in case of Air (ii) Category 2: Part II Order Force and Gen Form in (iii) Category 3: Part II Order case of Navy (iv) Category 4: Part II Order (v) Category 5: (Award Certificate along with Gazette Notification) (vi) Category 6: copy of PPO or ESM Identity Card to be scanned and uploaded
Formats of the Annexures are available at http://ksb.gov.in/list-of-documents.htm
Failure to upload any of the above documents will lead to rejection of application.
Processing: The concerned ZSBs / Coast Guard HQ will carry out 100% check of requisite documents uploaded on the website by the candidates with their original documents within five working days of receipt at their HQ and forward the same to RSB. Coast Guard HQ will recommend the applications online directly to KSB latest by 30th November, 2017. No application will be accepted by RSB after 30th November, 2017.
The concerned RSB will carry out the 2nd stage check as and when they receive the applications and recommend the applications online to KSB if found eligible as per the laid down policy and guidelines, latest by 15th December, 2017. No application will be accepted by KSB from RSB after 15th December, 2017. ZSBs/RSBs are to recommend the applications online to next higher formation as and when they receive the application from the wards/widow of Ex-servicemen within five working days (if found eligible as per policy).
Merit List: The merit list will be finalized by nominated Board of Officers at KSB and will be forwarded to RSBs/Coast Guard Headquarter. The merit list of selected candidates will also be uploaded on KSB website, www.ksb.gov.in
While preparing the merit of list of students, in case more than one applicant has equal marks/percentage, preference will be given to (i) Orphan (ii) Ward of widow of ESM (if ESM dies after retirement) (iii) Ward of junior rank (iv) Course with Longer duration (v) longer length of service (vi) applicant older in age respectively will be given priority in that order.
The first year scholarship amount will be remitted into the bank account after the selection of the candidate. The subsequent payments will be made on successful completion of the each academic year, uninterrupted with minimum 50% marks till completion of the course. If a student failed in any subject / semester and / or aggregates, his / her scholarship will be closed forever and no correspondence whatsoever will be entertained in this regard.
Candidate must submit ‘Online’ Payment-cum-Renewal Form and Bonafide Certificate, for subsequent payment of PMSS and Mark Sheets of both semesters / academic year & 1st page of bank pass book within one year of completion of academic year / course, failing which the scholarship will be closed. Formats of all these documents are available at www.ksb.gov.in under PMSS link-Renewal of Scholarship.
In case of change in address, course, college, it is to be intimated immediately to Kendriya Sainik Board in writing. Selection Number, Name of Applicant and ESM / Ex-Coast Guard particulars have to be mentioned for all correspondence with KSB after getting selected for PM scholarship.
For more details, visit www.ksb.gov.in