Deemed Varsity to charge exorbitant fee this year too
Kozhikode: The Private Deemed Universities in the country are all set to collect exorbitant fee for MBBS and BDS courses this year too, thanks to Medical Counselling Committee which approved the fee structure at these institutes. Even the abolishment of capitation fee for MBBS/BDS courses at private deemed universities is not going to help meritorious students to get an admission at these institutes. Interestingly, the Central Government seems to turn a blind eye to the issue which is going to spoil the dreams of many medical aspirants.
Last year, when the Central Government agreed to go with National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test to ensure merit for MBBS/BDS admission in the country, it was believed that meritorious students would get admission, not the one who has the capacity to pay the capitation fee. The things seem to be difficult for this year also after the Medical Counselling Committee released the annual fee at the private deemed universities for MBBS which ranges from Rs.9 Lakh to Rs.25 Lakh per annum. There are 37 private deemed universities offering MBBS course in the country.
According to the list, the annual fee for MBBS at Dr. DY Patil Medical College, Navi Mumbai is Rs.25 Lakh, which tops the list. SRM Medical College and Hospital, Chennai comes second in the list which has Rs.22.5 Lakh fee. Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai and Chettinad Hospital and Research Institute, Kancheepuram grab third position with a fee of Rs.22 Lakh.
In the list, the SDU Medical College, Kolar, Karnataka has the lowest fee of Rs.9 Lakh. Annual fee for MBBS at Amrita Institute of Medical Science, Kochi is Rs.15 Lakh.
Though the capitation fee was abolished following Supreme Court order, a student who takes admission at these colleges has to remit lakhs and crores of rupees as fee for their five-year study. This has spoiled the very intention of introducing NEET across country for MBBS/BDS admission.
As per the Supreme Court order, the Centre Goverment must form a Fee Regulatory Committee to fix fee for private deemed universities. However, such committee was not formed till date. Instead, the MCC asked the deemed university to submit fee details and it published the same on its official website without regularising the fee structure.
A few days ago, the Madras High Court, in an interim order, asked UGC to set up a fee-regulation committee for medical courses offered by private deemed universities. The UGC has written to the HRD Ministry seeking direction in this regard.
Last year, admission to private deemed universities was conducted based on the NEET rank list. However, some students who could not take admission because they were asked to pay exorbitant fee which was not announced in advance. This year, the MCC which is the authority to conduct admission in deemed university has published the fee structure at each institution in advance. Going through the fee structure, it is quite sure that only well-off chaps can afford such a degree.
The list of deemed universities with annual fee is as follows:
1. GITAM Institue of Medical. Science. and Research, Visakhapatnam- 18,87,000
2. Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi- 1800000
3. SBKS Med. Inst. and Res. Centre, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth- 15,95,000
4. M.M. Institute of Medical Sciences and Research- 15,43,300
5. Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore- 10,30,000
6. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal- 10,30,000
7. JSS Medical College, Jagadguru, Karnataka- 14,71,750
8. Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College, Belagavi, Karnataka- 11,00,000
9. SDU Medical College, Kolar, Karnataka- 9,00,000
10. Hegde Medical Academy, Mangaluru, Karnataka- 10,95,000
11. Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore- 13,76,000
12. Sri Siddhartha Medical College DU, Tumkur, Karnataka- 15,65,750
13. B. M. Patil Medical College, Hospital and R.C, Vijayapura- 9,35,000
14. Amrita Institute of Medical Science, Kochi- 15,00,000
15. Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Karad- 11,90,000
16. Bharati Vidyapeeth DU Medical College,Pune- 14,40,000
17. Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Science, Wardha- 15,10,000
18. DY Patil Medical College and Hospt., Pune - 17,50,000
19. D Y Patil Medical College Kolhapur- 14,00,000
20. Aarupadai Veedu Medical College & Hospital, Puducherry- 19,50,000
21. Vinayaka Missions Medical College and Hospital, Karaikal- 18,00,000
22. Chettinad Hospital and Research Institute, Kancheepuram- 22,00,000
23. ACS Medical College and Hospital, Chennai- 19,00,000
24. SRM Medical College and Hospital, Chennai- 22,50,000
25. Saveetha Medical College, Chennai- 19,50,000
26. Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai: 22,00,000
27. VMKV Medical College and Hospital, Salem- 19,50,000
28. Sri Lakshmi Narayana Inst. of Med. Scien., Puducherry - 19,50,000
29. Shri Sathya Sai Medical College and RI, Kancheepuram- 18,00,000
30. Sree Balaji Medical College and Hospital, Chennai- 21,00,000
31. Santosh Medical College and Hsopital, Ghaziabad- 20,00,000
32. BV Deemed Uni. Med. College and Hos., Sangli- 14,40,000
33. Rural Medical College and PIMS, Loni- 10,05,000
34. Dr. DY Patil Medical College, Navi Mumbai- 25,00,000
35. Institute of Medical Sciences and SUM Hospital, Bhubaneswar- 14,90,000
36. Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar- 12,00,000
37. MGMC and Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, Pondicherry- 18,00,000