Mid-Year Research Admissions at IISc Bangalore: Apply by October 31
Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore has invited applications for Mid-Year Admissions 2019, to the Research (Ph D) Programmes and under the Ph D-External Registration Programme (ERP).
Participating Departments: Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science and Automation, Computational and Data Sciences, Electrical Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Systems Engineering, Instrumentation and Applied Physics, Inorganic & Physical Chemistry, Materials Engineering, Materials Research, Mechanical Engineering, Nanoscience and Engineering, Physics, and Product Design and Manufacturing; Interdisciplinary programme (Bio-systems Science and Engineering, Energy)
Applicant has to pass the prescribed qualifying examination and also qualify (desirable in some cases) in the prescribed National Entrance Test, depending on the subject of research, the details of which can be obtained from the links of the concerned departments.
The qualifying examinations and the corresponding National Entrance Test are as follows.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology/ 4-year Bachelor of Science: Valid GATE score (GATE score should be valid as on January 1, 2020. Candidates securing the valid GATE score for the years 2017/2018/2019 may apply) / NET JRF ( NET JRF includes - CSIR-UGC NET for JRF; UGC-NET for JRF; DBT JRF; ICMR JRF; JEST; NBHM Screening Test 2019; INSPIRE) is mandatory
- Master’s degree in Science / Master’s degree in Economics, Geography, Social Work, Psychology, Management, Commerce, Operations Research, Computer Science/ Computer Application: Valid GATE score / NET JRF is mandatory
- Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Agriculture/ Pharmacy/ Veterinary Sciences: Desirable to have valid GATE score / NET JRF.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Engineering/ Technology from any centrally funded technical institutions, with a minimum CGPA of 8.5 out of 10 or its equivalent (for Ph D only): Desirable to have valid GATE score / NET JRF
- MBBS/MD: Desirable to have valid GATE score / NET JRF
- B Pharm: Valid GPAT score / JRF
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Physics/ Chemistry/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Science /Electronics followed by qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE as being equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering: Valid GATE score / NET JRF is mandatory.
Short-listing is based either on performance in national entrance tests or on the academic performance in the qualifying degree examination. The final selection is based on the performance in an interview (in some of the departments, a written test will precede the interview). Those who were called for the interview held in May 2019 in any one of the above mentioned departments are also eligible to apply again. And the cut-off remains the same as fixed for August 2019 admissions.
Application: Application can be submitted online only at https://admissions.iisc.ac.in using the link ‘New user Registration / Login’, latest by 23.59 hours on 31 October 2019. Application fee is Rs.800/- for General / OBC; Rs.400/- for SC / ST / PwD and Rs. 2000/- for ERP. The amount can be paid online by internet-banking, Debit Card, Visa/Master Credit Card Payments. Interview will be on 18th and 19th of November, 2019. Session commences on 1 January 2020.
Admissions notification is available at the ‘Announcements’ link at https://www.iisc.ac.in/
Those interested in admissions may visit the department websites to obtain further information regarding the research activities of the individual departments/centres/units.