Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) on February 18
The Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) 2018, for admission to Ph.D / Integrated Ph.D Programme in Physics, Theoretical Computer Science, Neuroscience and Computational Biology in one of the Participating Institutes will be held from 10 am to 1 pm on February, 2018 at Ahmedabad, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bardhaman, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwhati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Madurai, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nainital, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Roorkee, Sambalpur, Silchar, Siliguri, Srinagar, Trivandrum, Udaipur and Vishakhapatnam.
JEST 2018 is a common examination is conducted both for Ph. D. and integrated Ph. D. programmes. An Applicant can appear for the JEST examination in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science but not for both. Questions will be based on the general syllabi of graduation and post-graduation level courses offered by various Indian universities and institutions. Some questions from previous year's examinations are available at https://www.jest.org.in/ frequently-asked-questions and also at https://www.jest.org.in/.
The various participating Institutes and their website addresses are given below. The details of the programmes and subject areas being offered may be obtained by visiting the website:
- ARIES: Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital: http://www.aries.res.in/
- Bose Institute: Bose Institute, Kolkata: http://www.jcbose.ac.in/
- HBNI: Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai http://www.hbni.ac.in/
- HRI: Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad: http://www.hri.res.in/~physjest/index.html
- ICTS: International centre for theoretical sciences (TIFR), Bangalore: https://www.icts.res.in/
- IGCAR: Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam: http://www.igcar.gov.in/
- IIA: Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore: https://www.iiap.res.in//
- IISc: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore: http://www.iisc.ernet.in/
- IISER Bhopal: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal: https://www.iiserb.ac.in/
- IISER Kolkata: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata: http://www.iiserkol.ac.in/
- IISER Mohali: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali: http://www.iisermohali.ac.in/
- IISER Pune: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune: http://www.iiserpune.ac.in/
- IISER Thiruvananthapuram: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram: http://iisertvm.ac.in/
- IIST: Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram: https://www.iist.ac.in/
- IMSc: The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai: http://www.imsc.res.in/
- IOP: Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar: http://www.iopb.res.in/
- IPR: Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar: http://www.ipr.res.in/
- IUCAA: Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune: http://www.iucaa.in/
- JNCASR: Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore: http://www.jncasr.ac.in/
- NBRC: National Brain Research Centre, Manesar: http://w9.nbrc.ac.in/newweb/
- NCRA-TIFR: National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune: http://www.ncra.tifr.res.in/ncra/main
- NISER: National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar: http://niser.ac.in/
- PRL: Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad: https://www.prl.res.in/prl-eng/
- RRCAT: Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore: http://www.cat.gov.in/
- RRI: Raman Research Institute, Bangalore: http://www.rri.res.in/
- SINP: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata: http://www.saha.ac.in/web/
- SNBNCBS: Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata: http://newweb.bose.res.in/
- TIFR-TCIS: TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad: http://www.tifrh.res.in/tcis/
- TIFR: Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai: http://www.tifr.res.in/
- UGC-DAE CSR: UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore: http://www.csr.res.in/
- VECC: Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata: http://www.veccal.ernet.in/
Eligibility: Tentative eligibility criteria of admission to M.Sc, Ph.D, and Integrated / M.Sc / M.Tech - Ph.D programs in the participating institutes will be as follows.
Physics: M.Sc. in Physics (all participating Institutes). Additionally, some institutes accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics, as listed below.
M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
B.E. or B.Tech will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be considered at IUCAA.
MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR.
M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
B.Tech Engineering Physics will be considered at TIFR.
M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc: M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Ph D in Neuroscience at NBRC: M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science
Ph D in Computational Biology at IMSc: M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and strong interest in biological problems.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech - Ph.D Programme (Physics): B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) will be considered at SNBNCBS; B. Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IMSc.; B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered in IIA.; B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics , with a minimum of first class marks, will be considered at NISER.; B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.; B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tec. will be considered for Integrated M.Sc - PhD at Bose Institute.
Integrated Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc: B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related disciplines and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Integrated M.Tech - Ph.D. Programme at IIA: M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics
Integrated Ph.D Programme at IISER IISER, Thiruvananthapuram: B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E/B. Tech. in any discipline.
M. Sc. Programme at HRI: B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech degree in any discipline; HRI is starting a new M.Sc. programme in Physics from 2017. The Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics at HRI is discontinued from 2017.
Prospective applicants may see the websites/advertisements of the participating institutes for their eligibility criteria in details.
There is no such restriction on the number of times one can appear for the JEST examination.
There is no restriction on age for appearing in JEST examination. However, each participating institute has its own eligibility criteria which may be seen by visiting their websites.
Registration: Registrations open at https://www.jest.org.in/ on November 15, 2017. Applicant must have a valid email-id prior to registering with JEST. The email-id which will be used as the user-id and password are required to create an account with the JEST website for submitting the online application form. On successful registration, an email will be sent to the registered email-id with a confirmation link for verification. Applicant need to click on this link to complete the registration process. After confirming the account, applicant can submit your application at the appropriate link. Last date for submitting online applications and payments is December 17, 2017.
Application Fee: Application fee is Rs. 300 (Rs 150 for SC/ST applicants) which is to be paid online during the online submission of application.
It is possible to fill up the form in fragments. Even one can save the form after filling the mandatory fields in the first page and enter other data in the next login. However, it is advised to do it in one go whenever one is ready with all the details. Modification is possible up to end of December in the filled application..
Admit Card: Admit card will be available in JEST webpage and it can be downloaded after 25th of January, 2018. Admit cards will NOT be sent by post/email. Bring a print-out of the downloaded Admit Card and one of your photo-ids to the examination center.
JEST score is valid for one year. Students receive a M. Sc. degree on completing the course requirements in the first two years of the graduate school, and a PhD degree on completing the graduate school.
The Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body established through an Act of Parliament, recognized JEST as a National Eligibility Test sponsored programmes/projects. Qualifying in JEST does not entitle an applicant to get a Research Fellowship. Using the JEST results, each institute will call a limited number of candidates for further selection depending on their requirements.
For more details, visit https://www.jest.org.in/