General nursing in government nursing schools: Apply by July 10
Applications have been invited by the Directorate of Health Services, Kerala, for admission to the General Nursing and Midwifery course of three years’ duration, starting in October 2019, in the 15 Government Nursing Schools including in the Nursing school exclusively for the SC/ST categories, functioning at Asramam, Kollam.
The Govt Nursing Schools are located at (i) Trivandrum (28 seats) (ii) Kollam (25) (iii) Elanthur, Pathanamthitta (20) (iv) Muttam, Idukki (20) (v) Alappuzha (23) (vi) Kottayam (20) (vii) Ernakulam (30) (viii) Thrissur (28) (ix) Palakkad (25) (x) Manjeri, Malappuram (26) (xi) Panamaram, Wayanad (20) (xii) Kozhikode (50) (xiii) Kannur (30) (xiv) Kanhangad, Kasaragod (20). These schools together have 365 seats. There are 20 seats at Govt Nursing School for SC/ST, Asramam, Kollam
In addition to these seats, one student each from Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep will be admitted at Ernakulam and Kozhikode (2 seats in each centre).
20% of these seats are reserved for boys. In the absence of boys, the seats reserved for them will be allotted to girls. In each district, 60% seats available will be allotted on merit basis, while 40% of seats will be reserved seats.
At Asramam, there are 20 seats in all of which 20% are reserved for boys.
The following seats will be reserved for various sections from the Merit seats in each district.
- One seat for those girl students recommended by the Sports Council
- One seat for girl student who is a child of Ex-servicemen/ dependents of those killed/missing in action, nominated by the State Sainik-Navy-Airforce Board
- One seat at Ernakulam is reserved for dependent girl child of Paramilitary/Ex paramilitary staff for 2019. Application for this is to be given to Principal, Government Nursing School, Ernakulam. The Paramilitary categories include Assam Rifles/BSF/CRPF/ITBP/RPF/Central Secretariat Force/CISF/GREF.
- One seat each is reserved at Govt Nursing Schools at Thiruvanathapuram, Kollam, Pathanamthitta for 2019, for inmates of Rescue Homes. The selection of eligible applicants to these sets will be made by the Director, Department of Social Justice and intimated to the Principals of the concerned Nursing Schools latest by 15.7.2019 with copy to concerned district Medical Officers.
- Three seats are reserved for Kudumbi community at Thrissur, Palakkad, Malappuram Schools for 2019. Students of this community who wish to be considered against these seats should apply with copies of necessary certificates to the Principal of the Govt Nursing School, Thrissur.
- From among the merit seats, 5% seats are reserved for Physically challenged category having locomotory disability of 40% to 50%. Applications of those who wish to be considered against these seats will have to be sent to Directorate of Health Services, General Hospital Junction, Thiruvananthapuram, who will make the allotments to the different schools. In the absence of suitable candidates from this category, the seat will be allotted under General Merit.
- 2 seats are set apart at Kottayam and Kannur in 2019, under NCC category. Additional Director General, NCC will invite applications to these seats, select two applicants and intimate the details to the Principals of the concerned Nursing Schools with copy to District Medical Officer concerned, by 15.7.2019
Details regarding the reservation and documents to be submitted for the claims, are given in the Prospectus, which can be downloaded from http://dhs.kerala.gov.in/index.php/notification.html
Eligibility: Applicant should not be less than 17 years of age and more than 27 years of age, as on 31st December, 2019. Relaxation in upper age limit is available for some sections. It will be three years for backward classes, and 5 years for those belonging to SC/ST categories and those converted from SC after becoming major and their children. Applicant should be willing to serve in the defence services.
Applicant should have passed the Plus Two or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as optional and English as a compulsory subject, securing 40% marks. SC/ST applicants need only a pass mark. In the absence of sufficient candidates with these qualifications, applications of students who have passed Plus two or equivalent with other subjects will also be considered. Those under the PwD category other than those specifically mentioned under Clause 2 (d) of the Prospectus (Physically challenged category having locomotory disability of 40% to 50%) are not eligible to apply.
Unless otherwise permitted in the Prospectus, an applicant should submit his/her application only to the District Nursing School of the district to which he/she belongs. If the address of the applicant in the SSLC/Equivalent certificate is different from the district to which the application is submitted or if the District is not mentioned in the Certificate, applicant has to enclose a certificate obtained from the Tahsildar/Village Officer that the applicant is permanently residing in the district to which applications is made, for 5 years. This clause is applicable for those applying under the Sports Quota also.
Application form and Prospectus are available at and can be downloaded from http://dhs.kerala.gov.in/index.php/notification.html
Application Fee is Rs.75/- for SC/ST applicants and Rs.250/- for others. This has to be paid by way of Challan at Treasuries in the Head of Account ‘0210-80-800-88’.
Filled applications are to be submitted to the Nursing Schools in the concerned district of the applicant with the Challan towards remittance of fees, and the documents as specified in Para 11 of the Prospectus, latest by 5 pm on 10.7.2019. The certificates to be submitted include (i) SSLC/Birth Certificate (ii) Plus Two/Equivalent Certificate (iii) Community/Income Certificate (if applicable) (iv) Disability Certificate if applicable) (v) Original Chalan Receipt for the fee paid (vi) Nativity Certificate in case of change of district. The cover should be super-scribed with ‘Applications for admission to General Nursing Courses 2019’ and the name and address of the applicant should be written at the left bottom corner of the cover.
Those who are applying to the Government Nursing School, Asramam, Kollam for SC/ST students, should submit the application to ‘The Principal, School of Nursing, Asramam, Kollam. Here, 20% seats are reserved for boys. These applicants if they wish to apply to the Nursing School in their district will have to give separate application to the District concerned.
Selection to the course will be based on the total marks out of 600 secured by students in the three optional subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) at Plus Two/Equivalent examination. For those who have not studied Physics, Chemistry and Biology, their marks in the three optional they have studied, computer out of 600 will be considered for ranking. Tie if any will be broken by considering the marks in English, total marks in Plus Two and then the age, with the older getting preference, considered in that order.
Besides other fees, an amount of Rs.500/- will be collected from those joining the course, for Registering with the Nurses and Midwives Council, Kerala,.
Those selected except those belonging to SC/ST categories, will have to remit an amount of Rs.500/- as Caution deposit which will be refunded on completion of the course, if there are no liabilities outstanding.
Those selected will receive an amount of Rs.700/- per month as stipend. During the 6 month internship period, the stipend will be Rs.2000/-. Those who receive training are liable to serve the government as and when needed, as per the remuneration as decided by the Government.
Hostel facilities are available only for girl students.
Those discontinuing the studies, are liable to pay compensation of Rs.50000/-, the entire stipend received with 4% interest, a liquidated damage of Rs.500/- and other liabilities. Certificates will be released only after the payments are made.
For details, visit http://dhs.kerala.gov.in