Spinach price at Rs 120 per kg; Boost for farmers, shock for buyers
Kanjikkuzhi (Alappuzha): After onion, shallot and drumstick, spinach is has also been added to the list of expensive vegetables. The street vendors are selling red spinach for Rs 120 per kilogram and green spinach for Rs 80 per kilogram. The decrease in spinach production resulted in the high price.
The price of red spinach is Rs 100 and green spinach is Rs 60 per kilo in the clusters of agriculture department. The farmers will get Rs 80 and Rs 50 respectively. As the price started soaring, spinach is farmed widely in various places in Alappuzha.
Normally, farmers choose paddy fields where second round of paddy cultivation is not started for growing spinach. But due to frequent rainfall, most of the paddy fields are flooded. Now spinach is grown in high lands.
- When spinach is grown on dry land, flowerbed is prepared before planting the sapling.
- Saplings can be replanted two weeks after sowing seeds.
- Spinach can be planted in flowerpots.
- Leaves are harvested once a month.
- Cow urine is the best fertiliser for spinach.
- Cow dung and chicken manure also are good for its growth.
- Spinach need plenty of sunlight and moisture.
- To fight leaf spot disease in spinach, mix turmeric powder, soda powder and asafoetida in 32:8:8 proportion in 10 litre water and sprinkle it under leaves.
- Sprinkling mix of cow dung solution and pseudomonas is also good to fight plant diseases.