Make yummy candies out of watermelon rind!
When we eat the flesh of watermelon and throw out its rind, it becomes a waste in the surroundings. But the researchers of Navsari Agricultural University in Gujarat has come up with a smart solution to this issue. They have proved that making candies out of watermelon rind can reduce wastage to a great extent. It is an innovative technology for waste utilization.
Steps to make watermelon rind candies
- Cut open a watermelon in two and take out its flesh from the rind.
- Peel off the green skin from the fleshy rind.
- Cut the rind into small cubes in a size of 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm.
- Blanch the pieces of rind in boiling water for five minutes.
- Mix 100 g rind pieces with 100 g sugar and 0.2 pc citric acid and keep for 24 hours.
- Drain the syrup and add more sugar and keep the rind pieces in it.
- Repeat this process until the concentration of sugar in the syrup reaches 70 pc (70 g sugar in 100 g syrup).
- After this, rinse the rind pieces in boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Dry the candies in cabinet drier at a temperature of 60 degree Celsius for 8 hours.
- Pack the watermelon rind candies in polypropylene bags and seal it airtight.
- The candies can be stored in room temperature.