The only trick we know to increase the shelf life of food items is to refrigerate them. Gone are the days when our grandparents used to try many ideas to keep food stuff for a long time especially in view of famine and off seasons.
Jackfruit seed is a delicious item in Kerala cuisine. A rich source of nutrients, jackfruit seed can be used to make a number of tasty and different dishes. Here is a tip to store jackfruit seeds for a long time without refrigeration.
- During jackfruit season, collect good quality seeds.
- Do not pick cut or damaged jackfruit seeds.
- Soak the seeds in normal water for one hour as they are slightly acidic.
- After one hour, spread them in a paper or cotton cloth until they are completely dry.
- Take clean dry sand or soil dust.
- Put some sand in a large container and then put jackfruit seeds in a different layer.
- Repeat this until jackfruit seeds and sand are filled in the container in many layers.
- This can be kept for many days without refrigerating.