Grow rose apple for bumper harvest giving little care
Rose apple, popularly known as ‘Chambakka’ in Malayalam, is an ideal fruit for making juice, squash, wine and other products. Ripe fruits can also be eaten raw. Rose apple is also called java apple, wax apple and watery rose apple.
A tree that bears fruit in all seasons, rose apple requires less care compared to many other fruit trees.
It gives yield upto 20 years. Rose apple can be propagated by sowing seeds or planting stem cuttings.
Steps to plant rose apple
- The seeds inside ripe fruit is used for planting.
- Dig holes that have one-foot length, width and depth each.
- Fill the holes with neem cake, bone manure and topsoil before planting.
- Water the saplings for one month.
- Saplings can be replanted after three months.
- Proper sunlight will ensure better yield.
- Replant saplings in May and June.
- Watering is required on alternate days in summer.
- To get high yield and larger fruits, water the plant after it bloomed.
Rose apple is a rich source of Vitamin C and is good for treating dehydration, boosting metabolism and refreshing body.