Do betel farming, earn easy income
Proper grooming of the betel plant for eight months would produce betel leaves. Almost Rs 1000 could be earned from 10 plants.
- Choose a plastic tray of one metre length and half metre wide.
- Place soil, sand and dry cow dung as basic manure with a proportion 1:1:1
- Fill with dry leaves above this mixture (dried leaves of Cashew Nut tree, Anjili (Wild Jack), and Jackfruit tree would be more productive). Take due care that the leaves don’t touch the stem.
- In an area extending to one metre, place a stake for building a pandal (roof) around the middle. Create a hole for proper water discharge and also for placing the stake.
- The right season for planting the betel stem is during Thiruvathira Njattuvela (around the end of June until the middle of July).
If the stem breaks and roots starts appearing, then proper manuring needs to be done.
Dry cow dung, cow urine (Gomutra), fruits, jaggery, groundnut cake (kadala pinnakku), and bone powder are generally used for this purpose.