'Vrikshayurveda' - The Ayurvedic treatment for plants
Just as Ayurveda treat human diseases, there is a science for plant life called ‘Vrikshayurveda’. The discipline deals with the treatment and protection of the trees.
Ayurvedic solutions for some common plant diseases:
- Bile (Pitham) related diseases of plants shows symptoms like leaves turning yellow, premature ripening of fruits and fruit rotting can be treated in Vrikshayurveda. Make a decoction of licorice root (Irattimadhuram) and bark of Indian butter tree (Ilippa) and let it cool down. Mix it with milk and honey and pour down at the bottom of the tree.
- Bile related diseases can also be treated pouring a decoction of nut grass (Muthanga) and vetiver (Ramacham) mixed with milk, ghee and honey at the bottom of the plant.
- Phlegm (Kapham) related diseases deform the plant leaves and slow down ripening of fruits. Also fruits will lose its natural taste. To treat this, make a paste of some mustard and sugar and apply it on the root of the plant. Then mix some ash of burned sesame in water and pour it at the bottom of the plant.
- There is another remedy for phlegm related disease. Make a decoction of catechu bark (Karingali), neem bark (Veppu), nut grass, milkwood pine bark (Ezhilampala), sweet flag (Vayambu) and nightshade plant (Kantakari). Pour the decoction at the bottom of the plant for 7 days.
- To prevent worm infection, take equal amount of Indian beech tree bark (Ungu), golden shower tree bark (Kanikonna), neem bark, milkwood pine bark, nut grass and false black pepper seeds (Vizhalari) and grind them finely. Dissolve it in water, mix with cow urine and irrigate the plants with this solution.
- Some plants stop blooming after first season. Pour down the water used to wash meat or fish at the bottom of the plant to make them blossom again.
- When the trees become weak without any particular symptoms, apply a mix of sugar, sesame powder, cow milk and water.
- When a tree is burned in lightening, irrigate it with a mix of nut grass, vetiver, Indian butter tree flower, peas, black gram, barley and sesame added in water.
- To help the tree flourish, make tablets of finely ground licorice root, Indian butter tree flower, sugar, costus (Kottam) and honey and bury them around the tree.
- To boost growth of mango tree, boil some water adding mustard, bael leaves (Koovalam), rice water (Arikkadi) and oil cake (Pinnakku) and let it cool down. Pour this solution at the bottom of the tree.
- To enlarge mangoes and vegetables, boil some water with milk, sesame, meat and fish. Pour this liquid at the bottom of the plant once it is cooled down. The ingredients can be ground and buried under the tree.
- If the trees happen to get burn, make a paste of mud and lotus flower and apply it on the tree.
- To get seedless fruits, apply a paste of licorice root, sugar, costus and Indian butter tree flower on the tree roots.
- To get rid of weeds, cut a whole crown flower plant into small pieces and put them at regular gaps in the channels that carries water to the root of the plants.
- Take the sap of trees that produce sap and pour it down in the water in the paddy fields to prevent pests that attack paddy.
- Tie some pure asafoetida to the roots of plants to stop its flowers and fruits from falling off the plant.